Why Waste Food?
I was saddened to read 7th September article about the amount of food that is thrown away in the City (http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/8373558.Brighton_tops_domestic_food_waste_league/). Not only is it a waste of money but it will end up in a landfill site or an incinerator and blight other neighbourhoods as a result. Surely it would be better if as a City we can pull together a) to reduce our food waste and b) to get some serious composting going. Compost bins from the Council are a start but we need collections for those without gardens, the elderly and those who can’t compost themselves. I was delighted to hear that Magpie are starting vegetable waste collections in the Autumn but we need the council to take this to the next level.
I’m working with the Brighton & Hove Food Partnership to see what we can do to prod the council into more a more proactive approach. Watch this space but with the incinerator due to come on line next year this may take some time.
- @WasteHouse Yes very dissapointing but we were worried about people slipping and falling in the mud and getting soggy sarnies :( 9 hours ago
- CANCELLED: our eco house tour, walk & picnic today thanks to weather but social drinks instead at our Sept... fb.me/7EuVWRTeL 10 hours ago
- CANCELLED: our eco house tour, walk & picnic today thanks to weather but social drinks instead at our Sept meeting - bhfoe.org/monthly-group-… 10 hours ago
- @WasteHouse Sadly cancelled due to typical bank holiday weather but social drinks at our September meeting all welcome! 10 hours ago
- @BrendaPollack CANCELLED: thanks to typical bank holiday weather but social drinks at our September meeting 10 hours ago