Why Waste Food?
I was saddened to read 7th September article about the amount of food that is thrown away in the City (http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/8373558.Brighton_tops_domestic_food_waste_league/). Not only is it a waste of money but it will end up in a landfill site or an incinerator and blight other neighbourhoods as a result. Surely it would be better if as a City we can pull together a) to reduce our food waste and b) to get some serious composting going. Compost bins from the Council are a start but we need collections for those without gardens, the elderly and those who can’t compost themselves. I was delighted to hear that Magpie are starting vegetable waste collections in the Autumn but we need the council to take this to the next level.
I’m working with the Brighton & Hove Food Partnership to see what we can do to prod the council into more a more proactive approach. Watch this space but with the incinerator due to come on line next year this may take some time.
- URGENT: land/space needed in #Brighton & #Hove to site new City ReUse Depot of 8 shipping containers, can you help? contact @CityReuseDepot 6 hours ago
- Barclays Stop Funding #Fracking Join us 11am. Saturday 10 October, Barclays North Street Branch, #Brighton.... fb.me/3TlfZsf3K 19 hours ago
- We'll #bee there, will you :)? twitter.com/BhoggOrg/statu… 1 day ago
- @BrendaPollack @REPOWERBalcombe @1annawatson @CraigBennett3 @OVESCO @UKCEC @brightonnrgcoop @wwwfoecouk woohoo we hear it's a "Yes!" 3 days ago
- Balcombe has fought off #extreme energy and now embraces #communityenergy - this is our #sustainable future twitter.com/DreamTimeTreat… 3 days ago